Help in the Laundry Room
-- 10 Frugal Tips!
Frugal Friend 2 Another
Finding bargains on clothing
is one of the primary goals of frugal
But, making that clothing last and look good for as long as possible
is sometimes a real challenge, given today's high prices on laundry
Here are a few tips to help you keep your clothes looking their best
without spending a fortune!
1. Buy good quality. If you are buying new clothing, it is especially
important to get the best quality you can afford. Poor quality
garments just won't last no matter how carefully you care for them.
2. Wash as directed on the label. If it says wash in cold water, then
be sure you do. One sure way to ruin an article of clothing is to use
an improper cleaning method.
3. Wash everything you can in cold water. Most experts say clothes
get just as clean in cold water as in warm or hot. For sure, there will
less shrinkage. And if there's a stain you didn't see and pre-treat, it
won't be set in by hot water and maybe you can still get it out!
4. Always rinse in cold water; hot water sets wrinkles.
5. Turn T-shirts and sweatshirts inside out before washing. This will
cut down on the "pilling" on the fabric caused by the clothes rubbing
together during the wash cycle.
6. Hang those T-shirts and sweatshirts to dry instead of throwing
them in the dryer. The decals or printing on the front and back will
stay looking nice much longer.
7. In fact, hang dry everything you can. Especially if it's 100% cotton.
Heat sets wrinkles and shrinks cotton. Smooth the garments out as
you hang them, whether you're hanging them directly on a hanger or
on the clothesline outdoors.
8. If you accidentally leave a load of clothes in your washer
overnight and they have that sour smell, just add about 1/2 cup white
vinegar and run through a rinse cycle. They'll smell sweet again!
9. Here's a recipe for homemade pre-treatment: mix equal parts of
water, ammonia ( maybe lemon-scented), Wisk and water. Put in
a spray bottle and keep it handy in your laundry room. Spray on
spots just like you would the expensive kind!
10. Instead of buying an expensive specialty product for your
fine washables--try using a small amount of baby shampoo. Works
just as good!
But, of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important!
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
website, "1 Frugal Friend 2 Another" will
show you ways to save money everyday. Receive a free
e-course on saving money at the supermarket!
To learn more, visit